Furi prayer house, “Schmerzhafte Muttergottes”


This small prayer house stands in the hamlet of Furi, beside a small group of old buildings and surrounded by alpine pastures. In former times, mule drivers would stop here before they ventured south over the Theodul Pass.

The prayer house of Furi stands on the old mule trail from Zermatt over the Theodul Pass, some way outside the hamlet of Furi at an altitude of about 1,900 m. It was built in 1747 by three brothers from the Furrer family. Their initials stood on the old choir grille: M.M.F., J.F. and P.J.F. It is a small baroque building, not officially a chapel, and normally masses may not be held here. It is dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows, and the patron’s feast day is on the Friday before Holy Week. An impressive Pietà – Jesus being removed from the Cross – adorns the altar. The nimbus and sword have since disappeared. Part of the old baldachin has been attached to the altar as the antependium (a textile hanging in front of or on the sides of an altar), and the choir is protected by a wrought-iron choir grille. The four beautiful coloured windows by Marion Cartier were given to the chapel during renovation in 1986. They show Mary at the prophesy of Simeon (choir), Mary on the flight into Egypt (nave), Mary meeting Jesus carrying the Cross (right of the doors) and John below the Cross (left of the doors). The ceilings and the doors are new, also from 1986. Many inhabitants of Zermatt used to make a pilgrimage to the Mother of God at Furi in order to share their worries and cares with her.

  • The key is available from the church office in the village (tel. +41 27 967 23 14, office hours)